MANILA, Philippines – The preliminary competition of Miss Universe 2016 was held in Manila on Friday, January 26, 2017.
The preliminary competition is made up of the swimsuit competition, and evening gown competition.
The event was judged by the following:
- Dayanara Torres – former UNICEF ambassador, former Miss Universe from Puerto Rico, author, model, actress
- Cynthia Bailey – former model and founder of The Bailey Agency (a modeling/fashion school dedicated to helping young women achieve their dreams), current cast member on Real Housewives of Atlanta
- Rob Goldstone – former journalist, publicist, and international marketing director
- Fred Nelson – president and executive producer of the People’s Choice Awards, the annual live broadcast celebrating fan favorites in movies, music, and TV
- Francine LeFrak – social entrepreneur, women’s empowerment activist, and founder of Same Sky (an initiative that provides training and employment to HIV+ female survivors of the Rwandan genocide)
- Riyo Mori – Japanese actress, dancer, model, and beauty queen who was crowned Miss Universe 2007
The preliminary competition was kicked off by all 86 ladies introducing themselves to the audience by saying their name and country with serious conviction, followed my loud applause from the crowd! They wore a variety of outfits by designer Sherri Hill, including long gowns, short dresses, two-piece outfits and everything in between.
Followed by the swimsuit competition, with the ladies walking the stage in colorful swimsuits as the hosts told the audience a little bit about them.
The evening gown highlighted the styles of dresses from around the globe. The girls took the stage with sparkling long gowns and bold colors.
The night was hosted by Miss Universe 2015 Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach and Derek Ramsay.
What do you think of the 2016 Miss Universe preliminary show? Let us know in the comments!
Watch the coronation night live on January 30, 2017 Monday 8 a.m. PST.